|"1x008 - VHS tape"|
|Season 1, Experiment No. 8|
|Upload date:||July 9, 2007|
|Experiment Outcome:||Bad Idea|
|Camera Guys(s):||Jonathan Paula|
|Additional Commentary:||Zach Schiffman (sidekick)|
|Previous Episode:||#7: Ketchup packets|
|Next Episode:||#9: Toothpaste|
Before the show's opening, Jory asks why anyone would want to microwave a VHS tape (despite the fact that he has pulled all the film out).
Jory gaffs the first few lines, stating that "security is our number one concern" and that they hide behind "a tin foil barracade". However, it is here that he first utters the phrase "nobody likes roasted nuts", much to Jon's amusement.
Just as the microwave starts, Jory announces that "this is not a good idea". Several people in the background recall the light bulb experiment. However, it is conclusive that nothing happens other than that "it's smoking and it smells funny. Let's get the **** out of here". (Season 1 was not censored).
After letting the laboratory air out, Jory finds that the tape has melted through. The verdict is that it is a bad idea, which Jory states repeatedly.
- This is the first time Jory says, "Nobody likes roasted nuts." His laughter and reaction are priceless.
- The VHS tape didn't have a label on it
- This episode is the only time we see Zach . He's present at 2:09 in the video, after everyone evacuated the room from the VHS tape's smell.
- Jory once again comments about whether it's safe to microwave in the verdict.
- This was the first episode to be filmed at night. From this episode onward, Jon and Jory would only film at night except for special episodes that couldn't be done in the lab (such as the spray paint). If you look out the window, you'll notice that it's nearly dark outside and that when the lights are off, there's no outside light shining on the microwave. Although with episodes 5-7 you could see it progressively getting later in the afternoon. Jon noticed the improved visibility which is why he only filmed at night afterwards.
- Jon: The light bulb scared the shit out of us!
Zach: (laughs) When it popped?
- Zach: I don't think it's doing anything there, Jory. You're not a very good scientist!
- Jory: It's smoking, and it smells funny. Let's get the f*ck outta here!