|"8x018 - Gathering Items"|
|Season 8, Experiment No. 231|
|Upload date:||July 5, 2010|
|Microwave Used:||Margaret II|
|Experiment Outcome:||Bad Idea|
|Camera Guys(s):||Jonathan Paula|
|Additional Commentary:||Riley McIlwain (sidekick)|
|Previous Episode:||#230: Statue of Liberty & Pop-Its|
|Next Episode:||#232: Thermometer|
- In the intro, Jory says that the items were donated at a "YouTube gathering." Really, the gathering had nothing to do with YouTube. The gathering was held as Jon and Jory's first mission for the Ford Fiesta movement.
- 4:30 was chosen for the time, because the Boston gathering was held on 4/3/10.
- The intro was used partially as an advertisement for VidCon 2010, where Jon, Jory, and Riley were invited to perform a live microwaving.
- Jon put a list of all of the "gathering crap" items underneath the item name graphics. The pile of gathering items included: headphones, circuit board, retainer, Queen singing toothbrush, dog bobblehead, floppy disk, night light, Julian Wang's school ID, and Magic: The Gathering foil cards.
- The inside of the microwave screen melted off. This was the first time a microwave door melted but the microwave didn't die. In the remaining 11 experiments for Margaret II it can clearly be seen her actual microwave screen became slightly buckled too, especially when the door is opened/closed and the light shines on her screen.
- Among the items is a night light. We are never told about this in the donations video nor shown in the episode itself except when the stuff was being put into Margaret II.
- Riley: Yeah, yeah, we'll be [at Vidcon], like, you know, kissin' hands, shakin' babies!
Jory: Uh, signing boobies!
Riley: Or is it "shaking hands, kissing babies"? We'll be there, July 9th!
- Jory: The reason why this is working so well, though, is because, although there's a lot of things in there, it's a lot of small things.
Jon: Yeah, so this is like a good sampling size of what it would look like if we did microwave everything in, like, a small portion. We've found on the show that smaller is usually better- ping-pong balls, pencils, eggs...
- Jory: So, you may be wondering, is it a good idea to put in a bunch of random sh*t into your microwave?
Jon: Well, that IS kind of the entire premise of this show, isn't it?
- Jory: And remember- keep it small. That's what she said! That's not what she said. That's the opposite of what she said!
Riley: Oh, it's melting the microwave!
- Jory: Uh, stop! We've breached microwave!